Cheesy, gooey, creamy macaroni & cheese is so delicous you won’t be a able to stop eating it.
This is amazing. It is ridiculously gooey, creamy, cheesy, and let’s not forget there are homemade breadcrumbs involved so you get a little bit of that crunchy texture paired with the delicous cheesy sauce and noodles.
There are three cheeses in this dish.
Sharp cheddar cheese: This cheese is used to give it a rich and sharp flavor to the sauce.
Colby Jack: This is the creamy cheese. It makes the sauce lovely and velvety.
Mozzarella: This binds the Colby Jack and Cheddar together. This is also the melting cheese.
Whenever I make Mac and cheese I always put those three cheeses on the grocery list. They are essentials to velvety, creamy, rich Mac and cheese.
The breadcrumbs are completely gluten-free so anybody can enjoy this. If you aren’t gluten-free you can easily use normal bread if desired.
Classic Mac n Cheese with Homemade Breadcrumbs
For the Mac and cheese:
1 lb gluten-free Mac and cheese noodles
1/4 cup (half a stick) butter
3-1/2 tablespoons Gluten-free all pourpose flour
2-1/2 cups milk
1 cup shredded Colby Jack cheese
1-1/4 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
1 cup shredded mozzarella
1/2 teaspoon dried mustard (optional)
For the breadcrumbs:
2 slices gluten-free bread
1/4 tablespoon butter
- Mac and cheese:
- Cook noodles according to package instructions; drain and set aside.
- In a large deep skillet (at least 5 inches deep), melt the 1/4 cup of butter over medium heat. Add the flour in thirds, whisking well for 5 seconds after each third. Whisk until thickened and becomes a roux. Add milk and whisk almost constantly until thickened, about 8 minutes.
- Add cheeses and mix until melted. Pour sauce over noodles and serve.
- Lightly toast bread in an oven, toaster, or toaster oven. Put in a food processor and blend until it resembles breadcrumbs.
- In a saucepan melt butter. Add breadcrumbs and cook until crispy, stirring frequently, about 4 minutes.