I love cookies. Who doesn’t love cookies? Crispy on the edge, soft on the inside. Mmmm. However, the amount of chocolate chip cookies available deeply distresses me. Those little brown pieces ruin the entire cookie for me. I don’t know why, but I just can’t stand chocolate chips. Now, those of you who love chocolate please don’t hurt me. I am very misunderstood. Despite the fact that I dislike chocolate, I still feel I am a good person. I know, that as chocolate lovers, you feel the need to defend it, but really, it’s the chocolate making you aggressive. You should take a break, maybe make a few other kind of cookies. Like these Brown Butter Walnut Cookies. Yeah, that link just takes you back to this page. Your welcome.
Anyway, back to the cookies. I love these because they are made with brown butter. Brown butter is simply butter that has been caramelized on the stove. I am slightly addicted to it. It gives the whole cookie a kind of nutty, toffee taste. The walnuts blend perfectly with it, and add some depth to the texture.
Gluten Free Brown Butter Walnut Cookies
Makes: 12 cookies
1 1/3 cups gluten free flour mix
1/2 cup white sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
10 Tablespoons butter
1/4 cup crushed walnuts
- Brown the butter the butter on the stove in a small sauce pan on medium high heat. When the butter is a deep golden brown, remove from heat and let harden till at a softened consistency. Make sure it has hardened. If you use melted butter, the cookies will bake into a thin, crispy sheet. Still delicious, but not cookies.
- Preheat oven to 350
- Cream together the sugars and brown butter in a large bowl
- Add egg, and mix
- Add baking soda and flour, stir till combined
- Scoop onto a cookie sheet in one inch balls
- Bake for 10 to 12 minutes
Hope you enjoy, Lara