I can’t think of anything more Christmassy than a snowflake sugar cookie. Something about it just makes me feel like I need to make them and bring them to every one of my neighbors houses. Luckily, these are super easy, making that possible. The hardest part (for me) is getting the unbaked cookies to stop sticking to the counter. But that’s only because I seem to have an aversion to flouring the surface with the large bag sitting next to me every time I bake. It’s really hard. Don’t judge.
One of the great things about these cookies is how forgiving they are. I have made them with different kinds of flour, melted butter instead of softened, rolled them out thin or thick, and they always taste delicious. The dough also freezes wonderfully. I just wrap it in saran wrap and freeze it for up to six months. A few hours before I am planning to make the cookies, I just take it out and leave it on the counter. It thaws in as little as an hour, depending on the quantity.
Start by creaming together 1 cup sugar and 1 cup butter. When the mixture is smooth, add in an egg and continue mix. I don’t have a picture. Add in 1/2 teaspoon baking powder, 1/4 teaspoon xanthan gum, and 2 1/2 cups flour. Roll the dough out into a thin layer, and cut the shapes.
Transfer them onto lined cookie sheet and bake for twelve to fourteen minutes, depending on the thickness of your cookies.
Remove the cookies from the oven and allow to cool. While they sit, make the icing by mixing 2/3 cup powdered sugar with several drops of water until it has reached a medium consistency. Add in 1-2 drops of of food coloring, mix well. Decorate the cookies as desired, and enjoy!
Gluten Free Cut Out Sugar Cookies
- Sugar cookie cut out
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup softened butter
- 1 egg
- 2 1/2 cups gluten-free flour mix + 1/4-1/2 cup for rolling
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon xanthan gum
- 2/3 cup powdered sugar for each color of icing
- 1-2 drops food coloring for each color of icing
- 1-3 teaspoons of water for each color of icing
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Beat the sugar and egg till smooth
- Add egg, stir.
- Add flour and baking powder.
- Roll the dough on a floured surface and cut out the cookies.
- Bake for 8-12 minutes.
- For the icing, mix 2/3 cup powdered sugar with 1 tsp of water, adding more as needed. when it has reached the desired consistency, add the food coloring. Repeat the process for each color of icing.
- Decorate the cookies!