One of the most impressive yet easiest dishes you can make is layered Pavlova. It is as easy to make as chocolate chip cookies, but as elegant as a decorated layer cake. Pavlova is made with nearly the same ingredients as meringue. However, instead of being crisp throughout, it has a firm outer shell with a marshmallow like interior. It is practically a cake – but even better.
One of the things that sets this particular Pavlova apart is the flavor combination. The pomegranate whipped cream bonds the Pavlova, while adding a slightly tart element and preventing it from being overly sweet. The strawberries add texture, and blend perfectly with the cream.
Begin by preheating oven to 200 degrees. Separate five egg whites from room temperature eggs. Be especially careful not to get egg or shell in the bowl, as the protein will keep the whites from whipping.
With an electric mixer, beat them until foaming.
Slowly add the sugar while whipping. Continue to mix until stiff. When the beater tip is removed, the meringue should stand up. For me, in Ohio, peaks usually form at about four minutes, and stiffen at about eight. The amount of time it takes varies, but generally the drier the climate the faster it whips. I have made meringue in Arizona, and was by surprised how easy it was.
Transfer the meringue to a baking sheet, making two medium-sized circles. If needed, make a guide by tracing plate onto a sheet of parchment paper. I use plates 8″-9″ in diameter. Bake the Pavlova for about 1 1/2 hours, or till the outer shell is crisp and the inner is marshmallow like.
While the Pavlova cools, whip 1 1/2 cups of heavy whipping cream into stiff peaks. Be careful not to over whip, turning it into butter. Add the pomegranate juice, and stir till combined.
To begin layering, spread the whipped cream over the first Pavlova layer. Arrange sliced strawberries on top of it, and top it with another Pavlova layer. Finish it with arranged berries and cream on top.
Double Layered Pavlova with Pomegranate Whipped Cream
- 5 egg whites
- 1 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 tsp cream of tartar
- 1 1/2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1 cup sliced strawberries
- 2-3 tablespoons pomegranate juice
- Pre-heat oven to 200 degrees
- Whip the egg whites until foamy
- Add the sugar, and beat until stiff peaks
- Add cream of tartar, mix
- Transfer the mixture onto a baking sheet in two circles. If needed, use a pencil to draw an 8-9 inch circle on the back of a sheet of parchment paper. Turn it over and use the line as a guide.
- Bake for about 1 hour and 30 minutes, or until the outer shell is crisp and the interior is soft and marshmallow like.
- While the meringue is baking, whip 1 1/2 cups of heavy whipping cream into stiff peaks. Add in the pomegranate juice, and stir till combined.
- Once the Pavlova is cooked and cooled, begin layering.Spread the whipped cream over the first Pavlova layer. Arrange sliced strawberries on top of it, and top it with another Pavlova layer. Finish it with arranged berries and cream on top.