One of the great things about pound cake is how versatile it is. You can put nearly anything on it: whipped cream, fruit, ice cream, etc. It’s even better when you can use the flavor of the cake, and orange pairs with almost anything. It has a very sweet, subtle flavor that seems to hold all the components together.
The glaze drizzled on top is made from a simple combination of orange juice and powdered sugar. I’ve always enjoyed fruit juice icings much more than the classic milk mixture, and it tastes amazing on pound cake. If you love cranberries, you can make two glazes, one with orange juice and one with cranberry juice, and add soaked cranberries to the batter. It gives it a nice twist and looks beautiful.
GF Glazed Orange Pound Cake
For the pound cake
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 cups gluten free all purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp xantham gum
- 3 tbs orange juice
- 3 tbs orange zest
For the glaze
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- About 1/2-1 tbs orange juice
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter a medium sized loaf pan.
- Cream together butter and sugar till fluffy. Add eggs and vanilla extract, mix well.
- Mix in dry ingredients until combined, add orange zest and juice.
- Pour into prepared pan. Bake for 45-55 minutes, or until inserted toothpick comes out clean.
- Let cool for 15 minutes. During this time, prepare the glaze by adding drops of orange juice into the powdered sugar. Remove the cake from pan, and drizzle with the glaze.
Enjoy, and comment if you have any questions!